Sunday, June 2, 2013

Today Afternoon

It's time again for the creepy larvae to start appearing on the newly sprouted lush green leaves of our teak wood trees. Taking a short cut through the dense plantation , as we often do on our way to work, one can hear a steady hum of leaves being chewed and larvae remains falling on the ground. In no time, there will be no more  leaves, just a skeleton and webs of leaf veins. It is a sad sight, really.

Today, an another hectic Sunday afternoon, I paused a few moments to witness this spectacle of nature devouring its own creation. True, the pests were real busy clearing off our source of shade. The hum was unmistakable. I put up my umbrella and closed my eyes. Not a sound came from our habitation down hill. Mrs. Dey has probably finished clearing off all her lunch platter by now. The Goats that came to graze inside the boundary were taking a day off. Bored, the dogs too had gone to the nearby village to chase kites and crows, the only presence in the Sunday sky.

Feeling hungry myself, I quickened my pace home.

Behind me, a 5 month old monitor lizard waved me good bye. Cushioned amidst the fallen leaves, it remained camouflaged at the very spot where I had my afternoon mentation. It proposes to remain still and silent till the first catch of the day comes within reach.


-Palash
June'2013, Lumding.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in a small town called Nagaon and traversed through Lumding many a times; but never did I realize its subtle beauty.
    Enjoyed feeling it! :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete